Looking for a surgical alternative that will provide lasting pain relief and healing power?
Regenerative medicine is an exciting and revolutionary field of orthopedics designed to provide the benefits you seek without surgery. It is an excellent option for sports injuries, sprains and strains, and joint damage. Southwest Orthopedic Associates uses innovative methods for treating orthopedic conditions and injuries using regenerative therapies with stem cells and platelet-rich plasma.
The use of your own body's tissue to help heal injury and disease is known as regenerative medicine. Regenerative techniques are highly successful because we use your own stem cells, taken from bone marrow or fat tissue, to deliver healing therapy right where you need it. Because new collagen and healthy tissues are being regenerated beneath the surface, the benefits of regenerative therapy are cumulative, so you have a better chance of avoiding surgery. Depending on your age, health, and condition, you may be a candidate for stem cell therapy, PRP therapy, or a combination of these therapies.
Benefits of Regenerative Orthopedics
- Increased healing potential
- Decreased pain
- Increased function
- Quicker recovery time
- No incision or scarring
- Decreased time away from sport or daily activities
- Stem cell therapy may be combined with orthopedic surgery to speed up recovery.
Click topics below to expand for more information.
- Osteoarthritis (or degenerative arthritis) of any joint: shoulder, knee, hip, ankle, elbow, wrist, finger, and thumb
- Low back pain
- Lumbar disc disease
- Tendonitis and tendon injuries
- Rotator cuff tears / injuries
- Ligament injuries
- Strains and sprains
- nerve injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Partial tendon or ligament tears
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer's elbow
- Sever's disease
- Osgood-Schlatter's disease
- Shin splints
- Joint injuries such as ankle sprains and knee sprains
What is the Procedure?
All of our regenerative therapies are non-surgical. Performed in the comfort of our own office, they usually take 1 to 2 hours to perform. We use a needle and syringe for the extraction and injection of stem cells and platelet-rich plasma. No sedation is required, but oral sedation is available for patients who request it. To ensure successful placement of the injection, we use ultrasound or fluoroscopy guidance.
Most individuals can return to their normal activities 72 hours after treatment. For sports, you may need 2 weeks of rest before returning to the game.
Three Phases of Healing
Following regenerative therapy, there are 3 phases of healing that naturally occur:
Inflammatory phase: Platelet activation sets off the body's response to heal the damaged tissue. This phase will last 2-5 days from the time of treatment. You may experience an acute flare-up of pain and possible swelling at the site(s) treated.
Proliferative phase: Begins after the inflammatory phase ends and will last 4-6 weeks from the time of injection. Fibroblasts enter the site and break down damaged tissue to make the wound or injured tissue smaller. This phase is mandatory for musculoskeletal healing.
Remodeling phase: Begins after the proliferative phase ends and can take up to one year. During this phase the collagen matures and strengthens to complete tissue repair.
Nationally Recognized Experts in Regenerative Medicine
Using stem cells for orthopedics is a relatively new concept. Many physicians lack the necessary training and experience to offer this cutting-edge therapy to their patients. Our board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons are regarded as experts in Regenerative Medicine, which includes stem cell therapy and PRP therapy.
Reasons to Choose Regenerative Medicine.
- The primary reason why regenerative medicine works is because the injection is made of biological material found in your own blood and tissues.
- There is minimal risk of infection or adverse reaction, because we are not injecting anything foreign.
- The procedure is virtually painless and can be done in the office within a matter of hours.
- It can be repeated if additional therapy is needed.
- Regenerative techniques are a highly effective alternative to surgery for many common orthopedic conditions.
- Regenerative medicine is ideal for people who are not candidates for orthopedic surgery and for those who want to avoid or postpone surgery.
- Stem cell and PRP therapy provides pain relief as well as therapeutic benefits.
- There is minimal down time, so you can return to daily activities within a day or two.
- Most athletes can return to sports within several weeks after treatment.
- cell and PRP therapy is backed by mounting research. The devices we use to concentrate your platelets and bone marrow are FDA approved and ongoing clinical studies continue to bear out its effectiveness.
Daytime OutPatient Surgery Center
Direct, package pricing allows the patient to know exactly what the cost of the service is upfront, with no hidden charges. Click here to learn more about our Cash Option Pricing.
We offer resources to help facilitate successful referrals. Click here to learn more about referrals.
Contact Southwest Orthopedic Associates to schedule an appointment for your joint evaluation. Click here to request an appointment.